The Flower Kings - Banks Of Eden CD (album) cover

BANKS OF EDEN

The Flower Kings

Warthur
2 stars Perhaps it's the comparatively long break between studio albums between this one and The Sum of No Evil which has the prog pundits going ga-ga for The Banks of Eden, because to my ears there's nothing new under the sun here. Perhaps I am simply jaded and am missing the point; certainly I would concede that the Kings offer here a technically accomplished and rather nicely polished example of their craft, up to their usual standards. The problem for me is that the album is up to their usual standards and not a tiny shred better; simply put, it offers all of the features and musical motifs you expect from a Flower Kings album, including a total lack of innovation or surprise.

I guess I should applaud them for stopping at 50 minutes or so because their usual recording process seems to be to walk into the studio, start playing, and keep going until there's no more space on the CD, "editing" and "discernment" apparently being traits of lesser mortals. But beyond that this is best left for the hardened retro-prog fans.

Warthur | 2/5 |