Dream Theater - Awake CD (album) cover

AWAKE

Dream Theater

OpethGuitarist
4 stars The best work offered by Dream Theater, the pieces all fit together here, or at least most of them. Caught in a Web and Innocence Faded are laughably bad, but the remaining tracks range from good to outstanding. I see Voices as the defining song of Dream Theater, the one that highlights what they do best.

Kevin Moore's creativity would be lost after this album, as he would depart for other projects. His presence will surely be missed, as Space Dye Vest is basically his song. Scarred is the most moving and best track on the album. This song is perhaps the best that Dream Theater has ever done, critically underrated by fanboys who see Metropolis as the be all end all of progressive metal.

I would love to give this album 5 stars, but I can't. It would probably get it if we took off the two aforementioned horrible songs. Other than that, an outstanding and excellent record that has no problem standing beside the prog giants.

OpethGuitarist | 4/5 |