Ivan Bertolla - Beyond The Skies Eternity CD (album) cover

BEYOND THE SKIES ETERNITY

Ivan Bertolla

T.Rox
3 stars Buy it - it's Australian!

I bought "Beyond The Skies Eternity" so wanting it to be good - hoping for brilliant - as it is from Australia and I like to support and promote Australian music at every opportunity; alas, it was not to be.

My biggest disappointment with this offering is the repetitiveness of the music. I listened to the album from end-to-end a number of times when it first arrived trying to get into it, and then could not listen to it again for a week as the music just seemed to repeat itself over and over. The second set of sittings did reveal more diversity in the sound - more so in the later half of the album; however with the repeating choral sound and the underlying musical theme running through the work it struck me as being like a movie soundtrack . and a little one-dimensional.

For fans of Petrucci and the like, Ivan Bertolla is clearly a technically accomplished guitarist; there is some breathtaking and blistering guitar work to be found on this album. That in itself may make it worth seeking out a copy.

If you are considering buying this album I recommend you have a listen to the excerpts from this album on Ivan Bertolla's website to get a feel for it first. My rating: 3 stars . and half of one of those stars is because it is Australian.

T.Rox | 3/5 |