Yes - Fly From Here CD (album) cover

FLY FROM HERE

Lieven Van Paemel
4 stars Fly from here is a very nice progressive piece with enough catchy moments to keep the listener interested. I have always liked Geoff Downes keyboards better than some of the other musicians who used to play them. A very nice piece is "Bumpy Ride" by Steve Howe... it actually feels like a bumpy ride... A bit of fun never harms... I really start liking the suite more and more.

The man you always wanted me to be is as far as I am concerned the weakest track of the album... A bit pathetical lyrics and music that is not what one could call progressive... A minor start for side 2.

Hour of need is quite an attractive song with very nice vocals and subtle guitar.

Life on a film set starts beautifully on acoustic guitar. It is a bit monotonous but, hey, then out of the blue there's the acoustic guitar again backed up by Downes lovely keyboards playing a happier tune. The feeling overall is a bit sadder... The vocals are great!

Solitaire makes me think of such guitarists as Duck Baker, Stephan Grossman, Dave Evans, Davey Gragham or Dan Ar Bras... It's the "Mood for a day" of this album. What a guitarist!!!

Into the Storm is a rougher track that rocks and swings. Squire really is doing it again on bass!!! Alan shows he is a darn good drummer, Benoit David sings well and Geoff still is my favorite keyboardist with yes.

Someone wrote "the cats are back"... Trevor producing and Geoff playing??? I prefer dogs but these cats I really like. A 3.5 that I will make a four.

Lieven Van Paemel | 4/5 |