Big Big Train - English Electric (Part One) CD (album) cover

ENGLISH ELECTRIC (PART ONE)

Big Big Train

fraanco3
5 stars Wow. An incredibly intelligent and moving piece of work. Easily one of the best prog albums I've heard in years and oh so faithful to the genre!

I rate this a cut above The Underfall Yard, which I really enjoyed but it didn't overwhelm me like EE. Big Big Train seems to have evolved from trying to imitate other prog bands, crafting their own dynamic, powerful sound. True, I DO hear Genesis, Gentle Giant, Tull, ELP, Yes and the Moody Blues. The compositions and sound embrace many of the prog greats but Big Big Train takes it to a seamless, passionate perfection. The result -- it doesn't sound like a Genesis or Spock's Beard album but instead a wonderful composite of vocals, instruments, lyrics and artistry.

Favorite track: A Boy in Darkness...starts off a bit slowly and then builds up to a vocal and musical tour de force.

fraanco3 | 5/5 |