The Aristocrats - The Aristocrats CD (album) cover

THE ARISTOCRATS

The Aristocrats

Argonaught
3 stars The Aristocrats - both the band and the album - is certainly pure good news for all lovers of quality music.

First of all, we now have an eloquent piece of evidence that the real music is alive and well, despite the ongoing efforts of the pop industry to promote the "elevator prozac", so aptly described by Maestro Wilson in In Absentia. The Aristocrats definitely makes me feel quite a bit better about the future of our human culture. Good music is extremely important for the spiritual health of a civilization; more important than some people realize.

Aristocrat members showcase the outstanding talents of Marco Minnemann, Guthrie Govan and Bryan Beller. To my shame, I had never heard (about) Bryan Beller, so I am still trying to figure him out, kind of "tune into" his brainwaves.

All in all, this album is very well made. It is intense, exquisite and duly complex, but not pompous or "overdone" in any way. The sound quality is flawless, by the way. I have listened to it while driving, at my desk via a SET tube amp and older Klipsch speakers, and through the "proper" music machine in the living room ... sounds good no matter what. Don't know who recorded, mixed and mastered them, but they sure did a professional job.

BOTTOM LINE: As they say, do yourself a favor and buy this album. After some deliberation, I will assign this album 4 stars (rounding down from 4.5, which would be more accurate).

A SMALL CAVEAT: I don't know if we can expect these musicians to continue working in the Aristocrat configuration for long. Most of the Minnemann's, Guthrie's and Beller's resume entries are from collaborating with all kinds of important idol figures like Vai, Zappa, Asia (I think), and, more recently, Wilson. I guess we shall have to wait and see.

Argonaught | 3/5 |