Anathema - A Natural Disaster CD (album) cover

Anathema

Experimental/Post Metal

Tristan Mulders
3 stars Anathema - A natural Disaster

Anathema's most up-to-date album is still the least appealing album of their progressive years. Whereas the previous albums all saw some experimentation in their sound, this one sticks with the same sound as its predecessor "A fine Day to exit", but without being as catchy. As a matter of fact, I still cannot recall some of the songs whenever I see their titles. I'm not saying it's all bad, not at all, just not as good as the other space rock albums.

An exception to the previous is the song Closer. This song is really unique for Anathema's standards. It is an ethereal sounding song which only features vocoder- effected vocals and an amazing build-up in instrumentation. Perhaps the most atmosperhic Anathema song up to date!

As I've mentioned before, the overall quality of the songs is rather good, but not as exciting or adventurous as their previous output. Therefore I cannot rate it more than 3 stars.

Tristan Mulders | 3/5 |