Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape CD (album) cover

THE GREAT ESCAPE

Seventh Wonder

Menswear
4 stars Pop Goes the Metal 'cause the Metal goes Pop?

Yes Siree Bob, this is metal with pop flavor; smiling heavy music. Like Mind's Eye, A.C.T. or Andromeda, this album contains certified metal licks with a boy's band coating. Also, you'll find lyrics that includes heavy use of words like: 'life', 'fire', 'die' and 'forever'.

Hey, Yngwie Malmsteen called, he wants his poems back.

Enough tomfoolery. If the cheese contained in this record could solve world hunger, why giving it a spin?

The melodies are to die for. Really. The hooks are big and frequent, enough to hum it later in your car. The songs are fast and direct, leaning towards neo-classical at times. Think A.C.T. 's catchyness mixed with Andromeda's musical prowness and topped with Shadow Gallery cherries. My hat goes to the bassman who doubles the solos with the guitar a la John Myung. It's HARD to shred the bass. Really, I tried and failed. But kudos to Blomqvist who proves that it can be done many times in a single song.

It's a guilty pleasure for me, I admit. It has not the raffinement (french) of Dream Theater nor the creativity. It could raise your wife's eyebrow, thinking that Bon Jovi is going progressive. But I will not hide that they have a talent to make complex music accessible to others.

Who wouldn't want to cry the word 'Forever!!' at the top of their lungs dressed in black? I know I would.

Menswear | 4/5 |