Rush - Hemispheres CD (album) cover

HEMISPHERES

Rush

Man With Hat
3 stars First off I must preface this review. I was intially put off Rush after I bought and listened to '2112' . I found very few elements that i liked about it. For whatever reason I tried again, downloading Cygnus X-1 off this website. It has become my favorite Rush track and has led to buy a few more of their albums. Anyway, I was recommended Hemispheres (after i couldn't find A Farewall To Kings). Perhaps I'm not the best person to review a Rush album, but nonetheless I am.

Secondly, I always found Peart to be overrated. He is a great drummer, but he provides many few moments that "blow me away". But saying this, every member does a great job at their own instuments. Also, Lee's voice has never bothered me. So I must appauld him for another solid vocal performence. On to the songs.

This album is dominated by Cygnus X-1 Book II. I like the intro, but I feel this track suffers what many epics do: The inability to hold that intensity or power that they start off having. Saying that, I find the ending very innapropiate for the song. However, I do have favorable things to say about this song. When the music is good, its great. I am also very fond of Lee's bass work. There are a few rememberable melodies as well, that helps boost my rating of this song. After this the album picks up for me. Circumstances is a nice rocking song, that i often find myself singing/humming days after playing. The Trees is another one of my favorite Rush songs. I find the lyrics funny (which, while perhaps odd, makes me approve of them much more). I also like the quiet little section in the middle with Peart playing the woodblocks. Another excellent song. Finally, La Villa Strangiato, ends the album on a positive note. The guitar intro, the lushness of the opening (and most of the song), the shifting moods, very good instrumentations, at least one solo from every member, and a nice cohesiveness make for a very good expeirience. A classic Rush song, from my understanding.

All in all, this is a solid release. For all the bad i can find in it, I can usually find good to balance it out. Definitely one for Rush fans, and probably a good one to have for a general progressive collection. Based on that, I shall rate it 3.5 stars. Also I will add, I think this would make a good introduction to the band, as it gave me hope that I would find more good things from Rush. 3.5 stars.

Man With Hat | 3/5 |