Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited II CD (album) cover

GENESIS REVISITED II

Steve Hackett

sussexbowler
3 stars Sadly, this isn't the same as 'Genesis revisited 1'. Instead of using more of the old Genesis music as a basis for recreating more 'moody' (Steve Hackett flavoured) versions we have ended up with a 'tribute' album!

Artists have been invited to put their take of classic parts of genesis music, but there seems a lack of respect for what I can only describe as those 'precious' moments within the catalogue.

The music involved here will always be a winner. It's 3 stars before we even start! but Steve has failed to take the risk of putting his own slant on what is such reverential material, which is what he did so successfully on 'Revisited 1'.

The peaks and troughs of the original material are 'smoothed' out. The 'arttitude' is lost.

It's likeable, I'll agree, although it's equally frustrating. It acts more as a reminder as to how good the originals were.

A seller, no doubt. But disappointing artistically.

sussexbowler | 3/5 |