Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden CD (album) cover

IRON MAIDEN

Iron Maiden

OleNorway
5 stars Many prog lovers will disagree with me on this? I can rate an album as "perfect" (5/5) even if some of the tracks are great. And I most often only listen to the tracks I like on an album.

I can't see any other band that has made a better debut album than Iron Maiden (but both Leprous and Riverside come close to match this with their debut albums). Two of my all time favorite songs are on this album, and they are both (if you ask me) progressive masterpieces: Remember Tomorrow and Phantom of the Opera. (If you listen only to the part from around 2:00 to 6:00 on Phantom of the Opera, this may be the best 4 minutes of music ever been made).

Also a special mention of the tracks Strange World (which is very slow compared to what Iron Maiden is most known for) and Transylvania (instrumental), both these are also worth listening to for prog rock addicts (I guess many readers on Progarchives will avoid Iron Maiden because it's metal).

The weakest tracks on this album are the most famous ones; Running Free and Iron Maiden. However, 18 years ago I also loved those two tracks.

Iron Maiden has a straight forward sound in this album almost as a punk rock band, but there are some catchy melodies, and prog-oriented songs like Phantom of the Opera. Paul DiAnno's vocal is perfect to the this mix, having said that, the long periods without vocals will always be my favorites from Maiden. I also think that DiAnno's vocals are less flexible than Bruce Dickinson, which lead to more melodies in the guitars than in the vocals. In the albums after DiAnno often the melodies are in the vocals, not in the guitar lines.

I have never listened more to any other albums than this one. It says itself that for me this is a 5-star album.

OleNorway | 5/5 |