Various Artists (Tributes) - Tales From Yesterday : A View From The South Side Of The Sky (Yes) CD (album) cover

TALES FROM YESTERDAY : A VIEW FROM THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY (YES)

Various Artists (Tributes)

Various Genres

Eetu Pellonpää
2 stars The pretty Roger Dean covers which wrap this Magna Charta company's YES tribute stuck out to my eyes from the CD discount shelf, and I purchased the record. I'm not a huge fan of tribute projects, so I didn't expect very much from this record. The greatest track here is in my opinion STEVE HOWE's and ANNIE HASLAM's duo "Turn of The Century", which has only subtle synthesizers in addition of the guitar and the voice. I like this new version much more than the original one on the "Going for The One" album, so getting this album home wasn't a total mistake. STEVE MORSE's versions of STEVE HOWE's solos are also decent guitar numbers too, but they are not very essential as they don't differ any from the originals. PATRIC MORAZ also plays here a nice easy listening jazz version of "Soon". This is a strange tribute album, as there are these original band members fooling around here too! The song selections are from around their 70's career, with few more recent songs along with them.

From the performances of ROBERT BERRY, MAGELLAN, SHADOW GALLERY, WORLD TRADE, CAIRO and JERONIMO ROAD I must say, that I'm not a fan of the style of the music they do. So it's difficult for me to say anything objective or analytical about them, as they just aren't my piece of cake. But if you like these artists and the music of YES, this CD could be a nice addition to your music collection, so give it a listen in that case!

Eetu Pellonpää | 2/5 |