Curved Air - Air Cut CD (album) cover

AIR CUT

Curved Air

Seyo
4 stars Actually, it's 3,5 stars!

It seems that "Air Cut" is generally considered the best one by CURVED AIR. For me, it is much less inspired work than say, "The Second Album". It is still very good effort, however, and is surely to be recommended, especially given the totally undeserved obscurity of this fine band. But, as I say, this album doesn't deliver as strong as previous. Perhaps exactly some of the "stronger" harder-rocking moments are the reason that I much less appreciate it. These are close to mainstream rock. I would easily skip "Purple Speed Queen", "World" and "2-3-2" which mean nothing to me.

On the other hand, there are plenty of brilliant moments, above all an epic "Metamorphosis". In the first part it contains a marching rhythm section with "delayed" guitar solo, which sounds extremely like CAMEL's "Dunkirk" theme from the celebrated "Snowgoose". To avoid confusion, the latter was recorded some two years later, in 1975! Overall, this is still very good album that should be highly regarded in spite of my criticism. CURVED AIR are surely deserving to be ranked in the top league of "classic" prog rock, and why they had not been marked in that way, remains to be investigated. (What comes to my mind is that a lead female vocalist, especially so good looking as Kristina, was not taken too seriously in those still male-dominating era, when gender-awareness was in its roots! Male chauvinism?!)

Seyo | 4/5 |