Stomu Yamash'ta -  Floating Music  (with Come to the Edge) CD (album) cover

FLOATING MUSIC (WITH COME TO THE EDGE)

Stomu Yamash'ta

BORA
3 stars No doubt, Yamash'ta perfectly befits the stereotype image of a somewhat crazed, avantgarde and totally unpredictable Japanese artist, one that couldn't be accused of consistency.

This was the first of his albums I've heard in the early '70s and back then when every new release in Jazz-Rock was eagerly tracked down and appreciated, it came across as a worthy addition to the genre.

My old tape copies are long gone, leaving me only with fond memories of (some) of his albums. It took me decades to hear Yamash'ta's music again. Well, it appears that things have changed since and the abundance of other artists releasing enormous amounts of material has left this piece sounding rather mediocre in comparison.

Credible effort has s gone into "Floating Music", but in all sincerity, today it appears rather dated, eliciting only limited excitement. Even the presence of my greatly admired percussionist, Morris Pert (RIP) is not enough now to rate this album above "good, but not essential".

BORA | 3/5 |