Jaga Jazzist - One-Armed Bandit CD (album) cover

ONE-ARMED BANDIT

Jaga Jazzist

BORA
2 stars I feel compelled to pen a few words - if only to justify my low overall ratings of the band's output.

To put them in the Jazz Rock/Fusion genre appears to be rather erroneous. Contrary to what their name implies and the classification at PA, they have little - if anything to do with Jazz. Primarily, because they just don't "swing". The presence of wind instruments alone doesn't make it Jazz.

Their first release was rather juvenile, but that's hardly surprising of 14 year olds and in that light it deserved support. Trouble is that their music - especially compositions - have matured only slightly since.

One would anticipate a lot more from a 10 piece band and whilst this album is one of their better ones, it still is mediocre by any standards. Fragmented, robotic compositions have no place in any form of Jazz, contrary to some pleasing individual playing.

Only in comparison with their other works, I'd rate this a very weak 3, but in reality it's barely above 2 in my books. Needless to say, these albums will not stay with me long, but such things happen when one buys on "expert" recommendations.

BORA | 2/5 |