Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity CD (album) cover

FALLING INTO INFINITY

Dream Theater

Bupie
4 stars One of those albums that everybody loves to hate ... but why ?

What have we got here ?

An original opener : "New Millenium". At first I didn't like it at all for being too repetitive but it has grown on me after a while. An average rocker : "You not Me". Two very unpleasant tracks : "Burning My Soul" and "Just Let Me Breathe". Three ballads : "Hollow Years", "Take Away My Pain" and "Anna Lee". The first is great yet overlong : John Petrucci will lift it to another level a few years later with a wonderful solo on "Live at Budokan". The second is very catchy with a marillionesque guitar solo. The third is a bit cheesy but still enjoyable. A nice instrumental : "Hell's Kitchen". Three epics : "Peruvian Skies", "Lines In The Sand" and "Trial Of Tears". I struggle to really enjoy the first, which I don't find melodic enough for my taste in its second part. The second is fine and the third is IMHO one of the best songs ever from the band.

It gives a final mark of 9 decent to outstanding songs out of 11. And on those 9, there are 2 favorites of mine : "Take Away My Pain" and "Trial of Tears".

If you admit - and that's the purpose here- that musical emotion can be reduced to a number between one and five, the pleasure that "Falling Into Infinity" gave me -and still does- is worth four stars.

Bupie | 4/5 |