Maxophone - Maxophone CD (album) cover

MAXOPHONE

Maxophone

Rock Progressivo Italiano

friso
2 stars Maxophone - st (1975)

This Italian symphonic progressive rock record is often seen as one of the highlights of the scene. Fullblown multi-instrumental arrangements, influences from Genesis and ELP, yet still a sort of own way of doing things in an almost orchestral way. The band incorperates many influences in it's compositions and is garentued to raise a smile with a composition like 'Fase', in which they switch styles in high tempo.

I don't like hearing instruments recorded in differents pitches. Maybe it's because I'm a trained musician myself; I really really don't like it, it makes me crumble. This is the type of well intentioned record that is totally ruined by false sounding guitars and keyboards that are like a saw for my harmonic brain. During almost every moment of the record there's some pitch anomaly that bothers me quite a lot. I don't think every music-listener hears this, because almost no-one seems to even mention the fact that some of the arrangements are painfully out of pitch. I would really love to hear a remaster in which all instruments are re-pitched to the same amount of Herz. As it is now, I can only recommend this record to symphonic prog listeners who have never engaged any problem whatsoever with a record sounding out of pitch. They will find Maxophone a great treat I guess.

Two stars, I just can't listen to this.

friso | 2/5 |