The Gathering - If_Then_Else CD (album) cover

The Gathering

Experimental/Post Metal

4 stars Please allow me to quickly just list my ratings for the previous album they did, it might help intruducing my review: ALWAYS & ALMOST A DANCE = (1), MANDYLION & NIGHTIME BIRDS = (4), HOW TO MEASUE A PLANET = (3 ... 4 for disc 1 of HTMAP)

I do understand whoever calls IF THEN ELSE the peak of THE GATHERING albums, although I am not entirely happy with the direction being taken. On HTMAP they experimented with new sounds, electronic samples and stuff. This made it interesting indeed but gave you a certain feeling of "they are trying out something" ... well I guess this is simply the meaning of the word "experimental". It seems that now they feel very comfortable and mature with these new elements. It turned out to be a calmer album, more mellow than the three before. The songs are of a high quality, the vocals still enchanting and most of all: it is a very round album, not diverse, a union - very much on the spot.

Difficult to pick out songs, choose your own faves. While I personally miss the strong presence of the guitar displayed on earlier recordings, I can't help to admit that it's almost impossible not to get caught ... or "enchanted", so you shouldn't miss checking it out.

Waylander | 4/5 |