The Tangent - A Place In The Queue CD (album) cover

The Tangent

4 stars A modern masterpiece. If you think great prog rock only existed in the 1970s then check out this album. Amongst its varied excellent qualities (already given in other reviews), here are two trivial personal attractions:

"The Sun in My Eyes" - OK, it's not really prog, but it's quite catchy nonetheless. And when I heard the line 'Bill Bailey takes the p*** from us on Prog Top Ten,' I exclaimed, 'Yes! I remember the programme!' As the presenter of the Channel 4 programme, Mr Bailey did indeed draw attention to the pompous overblown elements of prog - but so what? That's part of it's charm. And it was that programme that led me to investigate more of Pink Floyd and try out Rush. It's not often one hears a moment from one's personal journey of musical discovery being mentioned in a song.

"A Place in the Queue" - I have discovered the final track is a great one to walk to. Despite the changing moods and rhythms, there is a steady beat throughout (until the final few seconds rallantando) which perfectly matches my brisk walking pace. Twenty-five minutes of light exercise accompanied by colourful twilight skies and uplifting prog rock. Heaven!

mathmethman | 4/5 |