Rush - Fly By Night CD (album) cover

FLY BY NIGHT

Rush

bhikkhu
Symphonic Prog Team
3 stars When I was younger (much), this was considered a great album in my circle of friends. I didn't argue. As years went by, it came out less frequently. There was a point when it had been dormant for years. In the more recent past, my collection has been in a state of reconstruction (the reasons for which are another story). There were some classics that seemed necessary to replace. This was one of them.

As I have become reacquainted, something has changed. It's not quite as good as nostalgia would have it. Not bad, but just not the on the pedestal upon which it was once perched.

As always, the band can play. They never disappoint as musicians. It's the compositions. They aren't especially strong. Even the classic title track, is a pretty simple rocker. There are some bright moments. All are mostly held in the last three songs, and "By-Tor (foreshadowing what was to come)." "Rivendell" is a lovely piece, but not earthshakingly so. There is solid rocking all throughout, but no real "wow" moments.

Again, this is a good album. If you want to complete your collection, go get it. It's more satisfying than most of the post "Signals" output. However, if you are just looking to explore Rush, this one can wait.

H.T. Riekels