Unitopia - Covered Mirror Vol.1 CD (album) cover

COVERED MIRROR VOL.1

Unitopia

Gatot
4 stars The first time I listened to this cover version album I was impressed with its interpretation on "Easter" which tome it sounds better here than its original version by Marillion. It's probably the inclusion of dynamic percussion work throughout the song. ANother thing is the guitar solo is really stunning and it makes the song fly!

The key to enjoying this cover version album is to enjoy the music as it is without comparing to the original artist. I am lucky that some of the artists I do not know the songs at all so that what comes into my ears is really this Unitopia's work. So when I heard 'Calling Occupants' (Klaatu) I have no reference on its original song so I find this first track after the Prelude is really good to my ears. Easter was my first entrance to enjoy this album. But then come 'Man Of Colours' (Icehouse) which I never heard before and I really enjoy the music. and when it flows into "Genesis Medley" I can feel how brave this Unitopia makes this kind of arrangements with totally different style especially on vocal line that sounds really relax - no pressure. Even though it's a medley with short versions of many songs but it has beautiful cover of 'Carpet Crawlers'.

All songs are performed with vocal ini low register notes even with Led Zeppelin's 'Rain Song' which results a very good rearrangements - I do enjoy the full set of The Rain Song. In 'Even In The Quietest Moments' (Supertramp) the band performs its music excellently with powerful vocal in relaxed mode. I also enjoy 'Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime' (Korgies) which I never heard the song before but it sounds really excellent right here. What really surprised me is with Yes medley where original high register notes of Jon Anderson have been converted into low register notes that sound weird at first listen like 'Awake' and in fact with 'Owner of a A Lonely Heart' which usually performed in uptempo style.

Overall, I really appreciate Unitopia's interpretation of legendary tracks so that it sounds unique and enjoyable overall. I recommend you this cover version by Unitopia. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW