King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King CD (album) cover

IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

King Crimson

ProgMetaller2112
3 stars Here is the Crimson King's Debut album I'll go on about the album of what I like and don't like about it. I'm a huge nut for Prog Rock and yet don't seem to really see the greatness of the music here(with the exception of Michael Giles). Without Mike Giles drumming creativity this album goes nowhere. I understand its importance but when it fails it fails terribly in my opinion. Let me rate and dissect the mother out of it for you

1. 21st Century Schizoid Man- a really great tune that is just insane and goes through so many time signatures, listen to that solo from Fripp it's chaotic, love the power chords and the jazz fusion of it, it's a really jumpy piece, love it 10/10

2. I Talk To The Wind- is a mellow track that I love for its mellowness and its flute solo towards the end sends you off to never never land. 10/10

3. Epitaph - Another strong song but it's missing something it doesn't quite satisfy me the way the first two do it' repeats itself over and over until the end ("Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying, crying!!) is great. The break does nothing for me though maybe a little solo from Fripp would cover its behind. 8/10

This is when the album becomes unlistenable. I like The fact that they are trying to experiment but it's not remotely interesting only Mikey Giles is a redeemer on this album

4. Moonchild- I don't mind experimentation or even improv(at times) at all(but at least make it interesting!!! jeesh!!)but this piece fails as an experiment they could have done something interesting but they wasted their precious time instead to create something that just isn't interesting enough. Minimalistic improv at it's worst, it tries to be 4'33 by John Cage but fails miserably and goes nowhere however Michael Giles is a highlight (I'm listening I'm listening!!!) just not enough for the piece to be considered good in my opinion. 4/10

5. In The Court(title track)- is a bloated snoozefest that keeps repeating itself over and over and doesn't go anywhere it's worst than Moonchild.Say it with me "He smiles as the puppets dance in the court of the crimson king" "ahhh ahhh ahhh"(what can be more pretentious than that) It has the same formula as "Epitaph" but it's so much worse, this song bores me to tears it's so depressing and again it goes nowhere it's god awful.Yes I said that!!!! I know they can play their instruments but in all honesty they could have done way better than this garbage piece of a song, I've heard it about a million times and it does nothing for me(I know, I know) i really wanna like this band but when they keep repeating themselves over and over it's really hard for me to take them seriously, it really is a bloated snoozefest, it has a good flute solo and good drumming but nothing really stands out at all. I think it is the most overhyped Prog Rock song to ever exist(what!!!!!!), to me it doesn't really feel like a Prog Rock song(say what???) , to me it feels like they ripped-off the Moody Blues, this is a sad piece(and not in a good way) 3/10

The only things listenable and remotely interesting about this record is the drumming of Michael Giles it's fantastic it's fantastic(wink wink)!!. and Mr. Lake's vocals(he would do better with ELP) Fripp goes nowhere(out of what I've heard!!!) on this record and so does everyone else. There is not enough 21st Century Schizoid Man and I Talk To The Wind to make this record a 5 star masterpiece, it actually boggles my mind to think that this album is a 5 star record and a masterpiece in so many people's minds. Maybe it was the timing when the record was released??. This album did NOT I repeat did NOT give birth to Prog Rock(what!!!!) it instead made it a more distinguishable genre. Ground breaker for sure but it doesn't automatically make it a 5 star rate???? You people that give this 5-stars make me sick to be a Prog Rock fan it is not a 5 star album or a masterpiece, I can understand 4 stars but 5 give me a break!!!!!

Over 35/50 which constitutes a 3.5 star rating. Peace out!!

ProgMetaller2112 | 3/5 |