King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic CD (album) cover

LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC

King Crimson

ProgMetaller2112
4 stars We have arrived at a point in time where King Crimson finally had a stable lineup and it shows the songs on here are much better than the previous 4 albums but is it a masterpiece???. Well let's see if I think so. You guys want me to rate this mother good I'll do it. Bill Bruford left Yes to join the Crimson King and they completely revamped with a new lineup. Robert Fripp, David Cross, Jamie Muir(why only this album???), John Wetton, and Bill Bruford, there is no doubt in my mind that this lineup is the strongest that the band has ever had and it shows. The one new thing that the great Crimson Kings do on this album that was never done by them before was bringing in violinist David Cross he brings another element to this band which makes them sound different(which is good). Guitar man Robert Fripp decided to beef up his guitar and for me as a metalhead I love that damn instrument beefed up.My favorite work of Robert Fripp as a guitarist before this his playing was decent at best. Bill Bruford decided to join King Crimson because he felt he did all he could with Yes and King Crimson provided him a chance for him to improvise and test himself.However, I feel Mikey Giles best suited this band. Bill says this about King Crimson "with King crimson you are just supposed to know what to play" but how does that work for him on this album???

Here is my review of Larks Tongues in Aspic

1. Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part One - Good instrumental but it doesn't fill me with much excitement, the instruments seem way out of place and it sounds like total cacophony(maybe that's the point of it am I missing something??) it tries to get under your skin but it fails to do so, I feel this could have been way better. 13 minutes long and It's definitely missing something(wow!!!), it's incomplete 8/10

2. Book Of Saturday- this is nice little catchy song that I like quite a bit grade A. Mr. Wetton's vocals are quite good on this 9/10

3. Exiles - Exiles is another interesting piece that quite is good but it is missing something I feel and it takes a while(almost 2 minutes WTF??, at least make it interesting) to get started just a pointless intro 9/10

4. Easy Money -Initially I enjoyed this song but with some time it became rather pretentious that I feel it's really not that good they could have done better and the laughs don't quite cut it for me I could do without them. They decided to take a piece of Yes with a vocal harmony but it doesn't work quite as good. Bill Bruford might have had something to do with the wannabe Yes vocal harmonies why??? Do King Crimson not Yes. What have they been smoking, this song goes nowhere. 6/10

5. The Talking Drum -The worst piece on the album, it repeats over and over and it goes nowhere. Though I like the violins that make it sound somewhat exotic it's definitely used as an excuse for pretending to be experimental it goes absolutely nowhere. It gets chaotic and violent towards the end of it and it's a real piece of crap. The dynamics are good but it has nothing else to offer. This song has a fly sound effect(I think). A fly knows when its around crap and this is most definitely crap. 4/10

6. Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part Two -The best piece on the album but sadly it still not perfect I feel that this is missing something. 9/10

This is I feel the Crimson King's finest hour but I also feel that it is missing something it's not quite there yet comparing it to a Selling England or Close To The Edge. I feel all King Crimson albums before this sounded the same and this ushered a new era. The guitar from Fripp is better on here than in any other album but is it better or as good as say a Steve Howe?? The answer to that is definitely not, this album has me saying "that's it" that was all??? Not enough to satisfy my wanderlust to roam in the Prog Realm, I know I know blasphemy, report me to the owners of this site(PA) if you like

Overall rating 45/60 equates to little less than 8/10 or 4/5 stars. Which is closest to the rating the album will get from me. Peace out!!

ProgMetaller2112 | 4/5 |