Big Big Train - English Electric (Part One) CD (album) cover

Big Big Train

2 stars Although the music of this band is slightly better, the approach of this band reminds me of neo-prog bands like Unitopia, Magenta, Glass Hammer etc (kind of infamous for me). Big Big Train are focused especially on impersonating of Genesis branch of progressive rock. I miss genuine excitement in this kind of music. Everything seems fabricated from the song-writing point of view and is made for sake of sounding prog, being very predictable in fact. Album sounds pleasantly though, the mix is great. The band serves us music in a very nice package - by instruments used (mellotrons, moogs, flute, strings) with the help of a choir. It's like they have all ingredients to make a good music, but they lack substance that [for example] Genesis or Yes had. Nothing visionary, breathtaking or really memorable. Just pleasant. Focusing on the templates doesn't usually make the music exceptional. Rather for collectors only.
stewe | 2/5 |