Yes - Time and a Word CD (album) cover

TIME AND A WORD

ProgMetaller2112
4 stars Here is the second studio album by Yes but yet again it's still missing something(Steve Howe). The music on here is good . You could tell this band has the chops to blow you away. I will rate this album of what I like and don't like about it. Another stepping stone in the development of one of the best , most creative and musically poignant Prog Rock bands to come out of Britain. Here is the track listing

1. No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed - Decent cover of of a Richie Havens piece but nothing really that special. Good rhythm section in Bill and Chris on this piece they would eventually perfect their sound later, decent piece. 8/10

2. Then- This piece is one of those musically sophisticated pieces that doesn't get its dues, Chris and Bill work best on here, and to top it off with those lyrics by Jon "love is the only answer, hate is the root of cancer" that's deep stuff, you see a band that is growing before your eyes with this piece of music not there yet but there is potential for greatness. 10/10

3. Everydays -This is a jazzy piece that is relaxing during the verses but then strikes you like lightning the dynamics of it are fantastic it's like Perpetual Change in the making.9/10

4. Sweet Dreams- This song has a great groove and a rhythm section to die for Bill and Chris were one of the best rhythm sections if not the best in Prog at the time, not a bad vocal delivery from Jon either. 10/10

5. The Prophet - This piece has never been a fav of mine it doesn't really cut it for me 6/10

6. Clear Days. The same as The Prophet nothing special, Yes was in the process of replacing Peter Banks with this piece and it shows 6/10

7. Astral Traveller-This song is crazy and you see what Yes is really capable of on this track , they create that atmosphere that would eventually become Yes and the Yes Sound, it goes through many time signatures I believe the verse is in 7/4 I maybe wrong but it's definitely not popular among rock bands especially today, and odd time signatures like that during verses tickle my fancy hehe. The best song on the album 10/10

8. Time and a Word - This song is musically poppish but the lyrics speak to me on some deep level. I take the lyrics here very seriously because it is the basis for my life and how I live it .Lyrics are really good. 9/10

Overall another step in the right direction for Yes overall a 68/80 out of 10 it's about a 8.125 or so which equates to 4/5 I recommend it just to hear the evolution of the band. Peace out!!!

ProgMetaller2112 | 4/5 |