Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

THE YES ALBUM

4.28 | 1938 ratings

ProgMetaller2112
5 stars This album is a huge leap forward for Yes, Peter Banks the original guitarist was replaced by a relatively unknown man by the name of Steve Howe who was in a few bands before he joined Yes. Once he joined there was no looking back, he would help define the signature Yes sound up until the confused mess that was Tormato (that's another review). Before that album though Steve and the Yes men made this seminal recording. The recording company threatened to drop them if they didn't make an album worth selling. Then came the Yes Album. On with the show

Here is the track listing

1. Yours Is No Disgrace - This is really when Yes finally started to find itself, Bill and Chris with a rhythm section to die for it's just a great piece. I love how funky the guitar is from Steve. Guitar solos from Steve are so jazzy and yet still so rocking everything on this song is spot on 10/10

2. The Clap- A jumpy guitar piece recorded live from Steve Howe and it's very funny and cool too, Chet Atkins inspired I believe, it's also a celebration for Steve's newborn son Dylan, I love it 10/10

3. Starship Trooper- I love this song, it goes through three different sections, Life Seeker is good then it heads to Disillusion a great acoustic guitar break from Steve it's a very tasty guitar break it's just so lush, then it heads to Wurm, it's sounds like grunge or Nirvana before grunge or Nirvana even existed, though it's rather repetitve there's a groove and during this portion of the song Bill starts to go off on his drum set,.Bill Bruford and Steve Howe shine best on this track 10/10

4. I've Seen All Good People- I like this song for its lyrics and its meaning though it's rather Crosby, Stills, & Nash-esque but I like it and the semi-country guitar line adds flavor to it, the chorus repeats itself over and over that's a negative of it but it doesn't really bother the piece it's still good 8/10

5. A Venture- Funny little piece my least favorite on the album 8/10

6. Perpetual Change- This is the song that sent Yes into the stratosphere. It's got good call and response vocal deliveries and harmonies, Steve yet again propels this song listen to it when it goes through the instrumental section, it's pure studio magic!!!. 10/10

Overall 56/60 9.2 out of 10. Out of 5 it's a 4.6/7 out of 5

I highly recommend this or Fragile as a start if you want to get into Yes. Peace out!!!!!

ProgMetaller2112 | 5/5 |