Yes - Fragile CD (album) cover

FRAGILE

ProgMetaller2112
5 stars With The Yes Album the classic Yes line-up was almost complete but it was still missing that Keyboardist to put a grand scale to the band's music, in steps Rick Wakeman formerly of Strawbs. What Yes never had up to this point was a virtuosic Keyboardist(Tony Kaye was good for what he was) but Rick brought another element to the band that they never had before. The classic line-up was ready for take off. I'll be the roundabout for this mother of an album. This is also the first album with Roger Dean's legendary art work. Now Yes has finally arrived

Here is the track listing

1. Roundabout - from the moment you hear the opening natural harmonics from Steve you know you're in for a ride, this song is an essential piece of Prog Rock right up their with the Musical Box and 21st Century Schizoid Man from Genesis and King Crimson. Rick immediately makes his presence known with a great keyboard solo to kick the classical music out of your behind, just a classic piece, Jon's vocals are the best I've ever heard from him, period 10/10

2. Cans And Brahms - Rick's interpretation of a piece by classical composer Johannes Brahms, it's quite lush ,short but good 9/10

3. We Have Heaven- I like this a lot it's showing creativity unlike anything that I've heard from Prog, it's a vocal delivery from Jon and it's pure studio magic it's impossible for one Jon Anderson to sing this but that's why they have the studio to create such a short but awesome piece, it's creative. 10/10

4. South Side Of The Sky- This piece has always been a favorite of mine from Yes, I love the semi- Led Zeppelin esque delivery of the piece but with more soul and heart, the piano around the middle sends this into limbo and it's other worldly, I get the chills when I listen to that little piano melody one of Rick's finest moments in Yes no doubt. 10/10

5. Five Percent For Nothing- Nice display of drumming from Bill my bro says this sounds like the Mars Volta( good or not) you decide?? I like it 9/10

6. Long Distance Runaround - I guess you can this is the most accessible piece on the album but I love it, with that being said it's still pretty darn complex 10/10

7. The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)- The definition of Yes, listen to it and think Roger Dean and his landscapes and the Yes signature sound, repetitive as heck but Chris is abusing his bass guitar(hehe) and its sounds really cool. 10/10

8. Mood For A Day - A great classically based Guitar piece from Steve Howe aside from the Leaves of Green(from Topographic Oceans) this is my favorite guitar piece from him. I love Steve's guitar work, I'm nuts for Steve Howe's guitar works, haha. 10/10

9. Heart Of The Sunrise - The epic of the album but never really a big fan of it (I know you think I'm crazy), it's good and it keeps you on your listening ears but it is somewhat repetitive, I guess it's my least favorite on the album though it's still good, it ends with the insertion of We Have Heaven, I like that they put that in the record. 8/10

Overall it gets an 86/90 which out of ten get a little more than 9. I highly recommend this or The Yes Album as a start in your Yes journey, you won't regret it. I love this record it holds a special place inside me. Peace out!!!

ProgMetaller2112 | 5/5 |