No-Man - Flowermouth CD (album) cover

FLOWERMOUTH

No-Man

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Mellotron Storm
3 stars Well at least we get some variety on this one, as well as some brighter, uptempo passages.The problem for me is the dance beat that is heard way too often for my tastes. Lots of fantastic guests on this one though. I was surprised to see the legendary Ian Carr from NUCLEUS playing trumpet on the first track. Ben Coleman plays violin on many of the songs, while Robert Fripp is doing his Frippertronics on most of these songs too. Mel Collins plays sax and flute, while PORCUPINE TREE alumni Chris Maitland and Richard Barbieri also contribute.

"Angel Gets Caught In The Beauty Trap" has some excellent lyrics as vocals arrive a minute in. Violin after 2 1/2 minutes, while Carr comes in at 5 1/2 minutes followed by Collins on his sax. Mel's back before 9 1/2 minutes. One of the best tunes on here, and the longest. "You Grow More Beautiful" is a fun song with a catchy beat. "Animal Ghost" opens with flute, percussion and synths before a dance beat comes in with vocals. Guitar comes in on the chorus. Violin takes it's turn when the chorus returns the second time. Flute is back 4 minutes in. "Soft Shoulders" sounds like early PORCUPINE TREE, a top three tune for me.

"Shell Of A Fighter" is another song dominated by that dance beat. Piano 3 minutes in. I like when it becomes fuller sounding 6 minutes in. "Teardrop Fall" is another catchy dance tune. "Watching Over Me" features vocals, guitar and percussion. Nice string arrangement after 3 1/2 minutes. "Simple" starts off poorly for me. A dance beat 1 1/2 minutes in doesn't help either. The female vocal melodies are good though. It gets intense after 4 minutes. It ends in a haunting fashion with no melody. Interesting. "Things Change" is by far the best track on here for my tastes. Mostly for the guitar that comes in before 4 1/2 minutes and continues ripping it up until after 7 minutes. I'm cheering and wanting more, but the album's over.

I just don't enjoy this enough to give it 4 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |