Patrick Moraz - The Story of I CD (album) cover

THE STORY OF I

Patrick Moraz

Argonaught
5 stars Considering that The Story of i is a solo effort by a Swiss gentleman, who was a prominent member of Yes at the time (1976), one may reasonably expect this album to somehow reflect the weighty, English-style symphonic grandeur of Relayer. Right?

Well, that would be wrong. The Story of i is much more in the vein of the 1970s American jazz fusion tradition. It's scintillating, light-hearted, and energetic in a purely jazzy way. It's duly complex and florid, but not at all abstruse or over-engineered.

Matter of fact, The Story of i sounds a lot like the first incarnation of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Chick Corea and Weather Report of the early- to mid-70s.

The bottom line being: I love good jazz fusion, so it will have to be 5 Stars from me. But, if you thrive on the somber Nordic, LOTR-themed prog, you might not enjoy The Story of i as much as I do :)

Argonaught | 5/5 |