The Beatles - The Beatles CD (album) cover

The Beatles

Proto-Prog

bhikkhu
Symphonic Prog Team
5 stars This is a very controversial album. There is very little middle of the road opinion on this one. Like any true Beatle freak, I love it. Honestly, I believe I would even if this was not my favorite band. This is highly successful experimentation. The success is even more impressive, when considering the tension within the band. This actually could have something to do with why it works. Each song is a mostly individual work, with the other guys as session men.

All the stops are pulled out, and anything is fair game. There are rockers, ballads, Vaudeville, reggae, folk, and performance art. There is even a genuine prog piece (silly as it may be) in "Happiness is a Warm Gun." There are other proggy moments, but none as obvious. All this may seem disjointed, and unsettling, but that works for me. I rarely want to hear just part of it. It is a cohesive album. How this happened, I have no idea.

This is a landmark album for The Beatles, and rock music. Once again they showed that there are no boundaries. As always, pulling it off beautifully. The White Album is a rite of passage for any true rock (or modern) music lover. It doesn't have to become a favorite to be appreciated. Check it out. You will be better for it. You can tell me you hate it, but at least you will have heard it.

It may not be the proggiest, but it is a masterpiece, and is essential for a complete collection.

H.T. Riekels