Thule - Graks CD (album) cover

3 stars Compared to the previous "Frostbrent" album "Graks" was obviously quite a large step for Norvegian band Thule towards more sophisticated modern art rock. Without denying their roots in nordic goth rock they were trying here an approach of neo-psychedelic rock with a strong Floydian touch and I've got to say it works quite well. The majority of tracks can be described as rather mellow, atmospheric and dark having occasionally some more rocking moments and very often quite idiosyncratic sampling effects. The low-pitched vocals and mostly rather sluggish tempo are emphasizing very well the general melancholic mood making up this record to a kind of perfect soundtrack for long (nordic) winter nights (maybe not yet quite the right season for it just now). Actually there is only the opener "Supernova", "Song! (-Graks Vulgaris)" and "Feskehau" which are more in a harder-edged psyche or goth rock vein, all of them having some well-integrated odd sampling added up.

Overall this record being quite different from its two predecessors is an enjoyable listen for those ones who are more into the gothic realm and might offer enough interesting aspects for some Prog fans. But I doubt that it can be considered an essential one in general and it probably won't become one of my all-time favourites. I guess the releases of this band are neither absolute must-have ones as some 5-star ratings here obviously done in some enthusiastic mood might assume nor are they completely negligible. For anyone liking dark nordic music Thule is certainly a nice option. This one here deserves 3 ½ stars I would say!

hdfisch | 3/5 |