Mekong Delta - Dances of Death (and Other Walking Shadows) CD (album) cover

Mekong Delta

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

2 stars What you know about that German prog thrash? Mekong Delta are more or less the equivalent of a Megadeth style band with lots of riff thrashing if you enjoy that. This is what I would call "beer-drinkers" prog, as this would be great prog to drink beer to you, if you enjoy the brew. Dances of Death and the adaptation of Night on a Bare Mountain are the tracks to listen to here.

We have here more or less thrash music with a few dynamics to keep the listener from being bored, however, one can clearly sense that the best song is Night on a Bare Mountain by Mussorgski, as the songwriting from the band is not nearly as refined. The vocals are typical 80's metal vocals, and I can't say that this is a good thing, as it makes some of the tunes cringe worthy.

Normally I am not a big fan of adaptations of original works, however, for some strange reason, the adaptation of Mussorgsky's work is well done and the highlight of the album. I would say get the album for this one song, for it is really entertaining and gets you moving and grooving and what not. Other than that, there isn't much here besides fairly standard thrash.

OpethGuitarist | 2/5 |