Big Big Train - English Electric (Part One) CD (album) cover

ENGLISH ELECTRIC (PART ONE)

Big Big Train

King Manuel
2 stars Tons and tons of 5 Star ratings for this Big Big Train output! Nr 3 Album of 2012 currently on the PA! What am I not getting here?

Lets say it right away. The English Electric Part 1 is not a bad album. It has actually three quite exciting pieces on it: The First Rebreather (sounding very Genesis, as a lot of passages on the rest of the album, but nevertheless, the track manages to hold ones attention), Judas Unrepentant (a upbeat melodic tune), and the closing track Hedgerow ( also quite upbeat and unique sounding track with roots in prog folk).

Unfortunately for the rest of the album, well, either 'skip' tracks or at least 'fast forward' tracks. I often find myself bored listening to the remaining five tracks and even at stages repulsed by the sweet slow Smooth/Soft Prog sounds displayed; accompanied by prosy vocals and cheesy string arrangements. This is music you could play in a hotel lobby or and elevator! Some of the tracks have their good moments, but to get to them you have to wade through lots of 'schmaltzy' mediocrity.

I remember some reviewer somewhere once described the band Pallas as Prog with balls. Big Big Train here are doing the opposite: Prog without balls!

For me Big Big Train are on a downhill road. I got to know them with Gathering Speed, which I enjoyed, followed by The Difference Machine, a fantastic album! But then came the Underfall Yard which already could not really excite me, but The English Electric is even worse. I guess I need to stick with their former vocalist, Sean Filkins, considering his superb solo output after having been thrown of the train.

All in all, three good tracks, all worth a four star rating! The other tracks ratings fluctuate between two and three starts. Overall I can give English Electric Part 1 a 2.5 Star rating.

King Manuel | 2/5 |