Steve Hackett - Wild Orchids CD (album) cover

WILD ORCHIDS

Steve Hackett

bhikkhu
Symphonic Prog Team
5 stars Wow, and again, wow. What a treat to have a progressive icon delivering music of this caliber, this late in his career. I would have been satisfied if was just decent. The previews had it looking pretty good, but this is one of the few times that expectations have been far exceeded.

If you have been paying attention to his more recent releases, you can see something new developing (the days of GTR are long behind him). The final ingredient was last year's "Metamorpheus." This is a return to rock, but he utilizes orchestration as well. It is a blend of many styles and moods (he even covers a Bob Dylan song ... yeah, Dylan!). The title is a good indication of what is in store for the listener. Yet, there is a consistent flavor throughout. The dark narrator is back, he shreds, plays with eastern influences, jazz, and there is even a hint of the old days. Hackett is in fine form (as always), and doesn't even strain on the vocals. I look at it as a musical buffet, and Steve is the well-aged fine wine.

I find it all wonderful, and have yet to find a weak moment. My copy is the special edition, with the extra tracks. It wasn't any more expensive, so go for it. They belong on the album, unlike the usual afterthoughts. It may be the rush of a fanboy reviewing one of his heroes, but this is my vote for best album of 2006. I could change my mind later, but it's not likely.

H.T. Riekels