Aberrant Vascular - Actaeon CD (album) cover

ACTAEON

Aberrant Vascular

Equality 7-2521
2 stars Aberrant Vascular have yet to produce a full length album, instead they have provided us with two teaser EPs lasting only ten minutes. However, I'm not exactly tantalized.

Aberrant Vascular create a brand of highly symphonic yet extremely heavy prog-metal. Take an extreme metal, and add to them layers of bombastic, symphonic keys, and you'll have a good estimate of what AV sounds like. The musicians all seem to have tremendous talent, especially the keyboardist who really blew me away with his frantic style almost reminding me of a modern Keith Emerson. However, sometimes they seem to go too over the top for anybody to really appreciate. They try to fit an epic into a 5 min song, and the results sound preposterous and unfocused.

Also, the vocals pose a huge problem for this and probably many other listeners. Lumi sings two ways, overblown operatic and death metal growls. His operatic singing really strikes a nerve with me. His voice becomes rather emotionless when singing like this, and it tends to be rather samey. Then when you get to hear his death metal side you'll realize he's not very good at it. It's a dead end no matter wear you look.

If they could learn to streamline their ideas and maybe exercise in restraint, Aberrant Vascular could have a bright future with a different singer. For this EP though, it has a few good licks mainly in the name of the keyboardist, but other than that isn't worth your time.

Equality 7-2521 | 2/5 |