Velislav Ivanov - Pogledot  Na Szercatleya (Погледът на съзерцателя) CD (album) cover

POGLEDOT NA SZERCATLEYA (Погледът на съзерцателя)

Velislav Ivanov

octopus-4
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars About two years ago, maybe more, the artist offered me the album for a review. Initially I didn't like it and instead of writing a bad review I decided to send a message to Velislav Ivanov only.

For a strange reason after two years the album went back to my memory and I have given it another spin, trying to remember what I have found good and bad.

Let's start from the bad: the bigger issue with the album is, I think, the production. There's too much reverb on the vocals. The other thing that I remember to have found negative was that I have found it too melodic. It's neo prog but it actually bothered me like only a full Coldplay album can.

So what is changed now?

Listening better it's melodic but not too mellow. There's enough balance between the instruments. In general a one man band has a preference so an instrument sounds better than another, especially in foreground, and in this album this is not the case even though I guess that Ivanov's main instruments are the keyboards.

The song which definitely made me change my mind is the title track. It has a thin dark background and this darkness pervades all the songs. It's an element that I have previously missed and gives a different meaning to my listening experience.

As usually happens in the prog world the best tracks are the longer but the track #5 is a good one even if short.

It's a pity for the vocals as the reverb doesn't permit to see if they are good or not, and a bit of guitar could have helped, but the album is not so bad as the first impression made me think.

Three stars are a little rounded up, but I think that the songs matter more than the production, otherwise people wouldn't buy bootlegs.

If you are in the right mood for quite and sad melodic music give it a try.

octopus-4 | 3/5 |