Cherry Five - Cherry Five CD (album) cover

CHERRY FIVE

Cherry Five

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Suedevanshoe
4 stars Dynamic, succinct, and exciting, this album hits the listener hard with instrumental interplay in rapid changes in mood and melody. To my ears, this is early period Yes meets early period Genesis with Carl Palmer drumming.

Less bombastic than most one-off RPI I've tried, I really like the flow. The bass, mellotron, and keyboard work is fantastic. "Country Graveyard" and "Oliver" are true highlights here. Right off the bat "Country Graveyard" starts smoking with a memorable rock riff, then it splits into RPI atmospherics. "Oliver" is a nine and a half minute roller coaster that leaves your headphones smoking.

If I had any nits to pick it would be the average vocals and the name of the band. If the music is this good, I don't really care about those things. An excellent listen from cover to cover.

Suedevanshoe | 4/5 |