Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery CD (album) cover

BRAIN SALAD SURGERY

Emerson Lake & Palmer

wehpanzer
5 stars Apparently you either love this album, or hate it. Either way, you can't ignore it.

This is arguably the best ELP album. Some say that Trilogy is better. Personally, I think they are different, and I like both about equally. But there is something about this album that has stayed with me through the years. The only song on here that I haven't really ever loved is Karn Eval 9, 2nd Impression. Outside of that one, this album, IMO, is flawless.

Jerusalem is agreat way to start the album. The fanfare of Emerson's keyboards introducing the band and the music is absolutely enthralling. Toccatta is an aural assault upon your ears. Still...You Turn Me On is a classic Lake tune with a beautiful arrangment. Benny the Bouncer is a bubbly little rocker with its tongue firmly planted in cheak. Then we hit two of the high points in ELP history.

Karn Eval 9, 1st Impression, is absolutely incredible. And Karn Eval 9, 3rd Impression, is an early take on machine versus Man, and who is destined to rule the galaxy. Both of these songs hit hard and hit often.

I always go back to this album when I want to listed to ELP after a prolonged break. Don't miss out on this absolute classic of progressive rock.

wehpanzer | 5/5 |