The Mars Volta - Tremulant CD (album) cover

TREMULANT

The Mars Volta

Gatot
3 stars As many cases with other new bands, The Mars Volta landed their first introduction of their music through this EP to give a sense of how their music sounds like. As I only listened to this EP after I followed the band until its "Frances The Mute" album I can generally say that the band is quite consistent with their music direction. The style of the opening track "Cut That City" (5:44) gives a flavor of Peter Gabriel's music nuance at the start - through the exploration of sound effects produced by keyboard. It takes quite a long duration of this effect to take up the blast of heavy music at approx minutes 1:58. When the music starts to roll with all instruments contribute their roles. I still can find this style until the bands "Frances The Mute" album. You might have problem with vocal / singing style but I'm OK with it. There are bits of King Crimson also during musical break.

"Concertina" (4:54) is probably much more accessible with its bluesy opening and unique singing style. Again I observe the guitar style is something I usually find in King Crimson music. The music turns into complex arrangements in the middle of the track. To me, I really enjoy this second track. The last track "Eunuch Provocateur" (8:48) music style seems like the roots of The Mars Volta's music as I can easily find the style in the preceding albums - especially "Frances The Mute". It's an enjoyable concluding track.

Overall, this is a good introduction to The Mars Volta's music. My rating here has considered that this is an EP, not a full album. My judgment is based on my experience with three songs featured here - and not to compare with full album where the CD duration is typically more than 45 minutes. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW