Steve Hackett -  Genesis Revisited CD (album) cover

Steve Hackett

4 stars Many times I find tribute albums to be anoying. Likewise re-recordings by a group of their earlier work to me is just lazy. However, when I first heard this album I was quite pleasently surprised at the quality found on this disc. The fact that Hackett includes a new "old" song, Valley of the Kings, is also interesting, especially since it had been started by Gabriel during his participation in Genesis.

I'm also pleased with the inclusion of Watcher of the Skies, one of my all time favorite Genesis songs. John Wetton's vocals are well done, yet I've always wondered why Hackett didn't let him play the bass part - I love his bass playing: from Family, to Crimson, to UK, to Asia.

I enjoy the work on this CD - I think that quite a few of the songs were reworked enough to regain some freshness, so that fans of Genesis, or of the special guests, can find something quite enjoyable about Revisited.

wehpanzer | 4/5 |