Nine Stones Close - Traces CD (album) cover

TRACES

Nine Stones Close

Subterranean
4 stars This melancholic, atmosperic & mostly low-tempo album desserves an acclaim.

Neo-prog is a sub-genre that lost some momentum the last years. Still, there are a few projects that keep it on track with the quality we can expect.

As such, the album sounds rather modern and mix neo-prog with some symphonic & psychedelic influence. The atmosphere it delivers reminds me sometimes Blackfield. To a lesse extend we can find influences of Pink Floyd and late Marillion.

After a (long) instrumental introduction track that starts quicking with guitars after 2min. The next 3 tracks are mainly athmospheric with guidar and organ support and a soft but mastered singing. Threads (2nd track of the album) is arguably the best. The last track (Thicker than water) is over 14 min long. After a first half keeping the spirit of the previous tracks, the second half of the track delivers more heavy song with prominent guitar and mid-tempo (a bit like Knight Area).

Overall, an excellent ablum that I recommend.

Subterranean | 4/5 |