Anathema - Alternative 4 CD (album) cover

ALTERNATIVE 4

Anathema

Experimental/Post Metal

Mellotron Storm
5 stars I have to quote Tom Ozric who had this to say about ANATHEMA's music : "I feel a strong, misreable Waters-like Floydian connection to their music and lyrics". There is a "The Wall" flavour that pops up evey once in a while, they even do covers of "Your Possible Pasts" and "Goodbye Cruel World" as bonus tracks.

"Shroud Of False" opens with piano. Vocals a minute in are almost whispered. A full sound follows. I really like "Fragile Dreams", it opens with violin, then the drums and guitar kick in as they rock hard. The vocals shine. Check out the guitar after 4 minutes. Great song. "Empty" is catchy and aggressive. Vincent almost spits out the lyrics. A calm with piano after 2 minutes before it kicks back in. "Lost Control" contrasts the piano with spoken vocals with the fuller sounding passages. Excellent lyrics as well like "Yes I am falling...how much longer till I hit the ground ? I can't tell you why i'm breaking down." Great sound after 3 minutes as we get a heavy, mid-paced melody. Nice bass. Violin after 4 minutes. "Re-connect" is another standout, it gets quite heavy, and the vocals are intense. "Inner Silence" is a beautiful song, it opens with piano and features some gorgeous guitar. Check out the lyrics: "When the light of your life sighs, and love dies in your eyes, only then will I realise, what you mean to me."

"Alternative IV" opens with spacey synths and drums, a scary atmosphere is created and joined by creepy vocals. Lots of atmosphere. Evil vocals in a haunting atmosphere 4 1/2 minutes in. Powerful song. "Regret" opens with acoustic guitar, synths then reserved vocals, this is contrasted with a fuller sound. Love the organ in the background, very Rick Wright-like. More meaningful lyrics like: "I wish I didn't know now, what I never knew then". "Feel" opens powerfully as the organ plays in the background at first then take the lead. Drums and vocals join in. I like the angry vocals after 3 1/2 minutes, very FLOYD-like.The organ continues. Nice heavy ending. Awesome tune ! "Destiny" is simply a sad way to end the album.The bonus tracks truly are all standouts and fit perfectly with what's gone on before.

Overall I think "Judgement" is better, but this is an amazing recording, and I highly recommend it as long as you don't mind the strong FLOYD flavour.

Mellotron Storm | 5/5 |