King Crimson - Discipline CD (album) cover

DISCIPLINE

King Crimson

wehpanzer
4 stars Discipline is the reincarnation of King Crimson into the 1980s. When I first picked up this LP in the 1980s I didn't know how to take it - kind of like when Lizard came out in the 1970s. The album was o different from its predecessors that it took me a decade (!) to get a mental grasp of it.

The roots of Discipline come from new wave (not punk) that was the rave at the time. I had seen Belew with Zappa a few years earlier and was impressed with his guitar abilities. Now he was paired with Fripp, who reunited with Bruford, and added Levin, who I was familiar with through his work with Peter Gabriel. Their music was not the Crimson that I was expecting.

Elephant Talk, Discipline, Indiscipline, Matte Kundasai, and Thela Hun Ginjeet are the standout tracks on this album. Especially in Discipline, but also found in other songs here: this band was TIGHT.

This is easily the best of the 1980s Crimson, and well worthy as an addition to your prog collection.

wehpanzer | 4/5 |