Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans CD (album) cover

3.88 | 1947 ratings

2 stars Tales From Topographic Oceans is the most polarizing work ever done by the classic Yes lineup. Even though Bruford had left during the previous tour, having decided that he had gone as far as he could go within the Yes scope, his replacement, Alan White does a fine job at the drum set. Since taking over, White has continued through all the incarnations of Yes, even being joined by Bruford on the Union album.

But Tales, in my opinion, is the poster child for bloated, bombastic, and pompous prog music. It's not as bad as ELP's Love Beach (fortunately most things aren't THAT bad), but it definately not the class of the Yes pantheon.

The only piece that I don't consider overblown and/or boring is Ritual, which, if judiciously edited, could have been a stellar track. The rest of the album I'll listen to, then forget immediately what I've heard.

Get pretty much any other Yes album (except Open You Eyes) before you get this one - they are all better. And in some cases, MUCH better.

wehpanzer | 2/5 |