October Project - October Project CD (album) cover

October Project

Prog Folk

BORA
3 stars Clannad-lite?

I was intrigued by the widely differing reviews, ratings this band received so far on these pages, so I decided to have a listen for myself. Firstly, one just can't avoid of drawing comparisons with Clannad. The material does have some Celtic influences, for sure.

Pleasant and tasteful arrangements make this music immediately accessible and radio friendly. Hmmm, that's rarely associated with Prog, though.

The voice of Mary Fahl is definitely uncommon and interesting, but honestly, I feel that after a while I may get somewhat saturated with it. Or is it just that the songs appear to be very alike, conforming to a simple, MOR and thus predictable pattern? Carefully avoiding anything that could be associated with Prog and thus not compromising wider, commercial appeal? I think that's probably it.

I enjoyed listening to the two albums of this band, but at the same time, I also think I've heard enough. Good, but surely not essential and I wouldn't consider it as Prog. October Project doesn't belong here, really.

BORA | 3/5 |