NovAct - Tales From The Soul  CD (album) cover

TALES FROM THE SOUL

NovAct

Tristan Mulders
3 stars NoVact - Tales from the Soul (To those who understand)

My first introduction to the Dutch progressive metal band NoVact was them supporting Polish prog metal act Riverside at a gig in Den Bosch earlier this year. I couldn't help but notice that this was a bunch of talented young musicians. They managed to warm the audience up for Riverside in a most excellent way.

Due to personal experiences, though, I don't buy cds from supportacts anymore, unless I already know that they sound okay. But I came across this disc yesterday for the ultralow price of 2,99 Euro. Okay, this is worth the buy of course. And because of the price I assumed that the recording of the album would be a bit so-so if you know what I mean, but it did not come across as a bad produced album at all when I listened to it, in fact it's all rather well-produced!

The songs are a mixture of typical progressive metal songs, a bit resembling Dream Theater, but there's also quite a few more ambient, mellower sections included. Vocalist Eddy Borremans sounds a bit like the singer of Dark Suns from time to time, on other occasions reflecting Dream Theater's James LaBrie's vocal style. There's a lot of potential for this band and I'm rather curious what they can come up with for a follow-up release.

It's a shame such a nice album has to be sold for ?2,99 in the 'must-get-rid-of' shelves of a recordstore, but I'm not complaining myself, I have a good album for a cheap price.

Tristan Mulders | 3/5 |