Alan Reed - First In A Field Of One CD (album) cover

Alan Reed

3 stars I know of Alan Reed from Pallas, and I'd be the first to admit that I'm not his greatest fan. However, people were saying nice things about the album, so I thought I'd give it a go.

To be fair, I always expected a lack of musicianship to restrict the scope of Alan's ideas, but given the performances, this would be an unfair assessment.

If Alan had done a solo album, away from Pallas, then 'First in a field of one' is probably what it would have sounded like. Not as full-bodied as the real thing, but there are similarities.

The album starts off brightly, and there's a gorgeous bass pedal bit in 'Never too late'. But thereafter, and probably up until the pretentious 'Supper's ready' bit in the last track (The usual suspects), the interest wanes. Unsurprisingly, there's a hint of Celtic flavour in some of the music.

It's competent, but it's not a 'deep' listen. I admire Alan's 'get up and go' to even make the album, and it does suggest that he added good things to his former band.

sussexbowler | 3/5 |