Guapo - Five Suns CD (album) cover

FIVE SUNS

Guapo

RIO/Avant-Prog

Mellotron Storm
5 stars Their sound is drum and bass driven with plenty of mellotron and it's as dark as the night. This is a very powerful, experimental and dynamic all-instrumental album.They really remind me of ANEKDOTEN at times and I really like the way they use the keyboards.

The record starts with "Five Suns" a five part 46 1/2 minute suite. A loud gong opens the proceedings and then we experience a lot of atmosphere with keys. More gongs clash before it starts to get intense and chaotic after 2 minutes as the sound builds. Powerful sound 3 minutes in and this part 1 ends with a gong a minute later. Part 2 is my favourite, i'm so reminded of ANEKDOTEN bacause of the mellotron storm and chunky bass. Yeah it sounds awesome, dark and heavy for over 10 minutes ! The drumming is insane during this section. Guitar comes in after 9 minutes. So heavy. I like Part 3 as well, lots of piano and time changes. Fat bass 6 minutes in and then the drums start to get chaotic. A dark and sinister calm follows and builds. Huge bass ! Organ 9 minutes in as drums pound away. Scorching guitar and mayhem follow.

Part 4 is the longest and darkest of the lot. Opening in a sinister fashion, followed by some creepy electronics. A beat 5 1/2 minutes in with pulsating organ a minute later with growly bass. It's getting more powerful until we get that ANEKDOTEN flavour 11 1/2 minutes in with mellotron. Part 5 is dark with so much tension before it eases towards the end and this dark atmosphere takes over. What an amazing experience to listen to this "Five Suns" suite. Not worthy ! "Mictlan" opens with this dark spacey humming before keys and drums come in. Organ after a minute as the tempo picks up. The sound gets pretty violent at times. Killer drumming 2 minutes in.The tempo and mood continues to shift. The final song "Topan" is rather gentle and light, but it too eventually turns to the dark side.

A must for ANEKDOTEN fans, or fans of heavy and dark music with lots of atmosphere and mellotron. This is absolutely brilliant !

Mellotron Storm | 5/5 |