Radiohead - OK Computer CD (album) cover

1 stars Sorry, Radiohead fans, but I just don't get it. I'm not saying it's no good in any way, only that I personally don't understand the attraction. The most obvious deficiency is in the slack drumming. It just seems lazy and lethargic to me as if "loose" meant "avant-garde." And the vocal sound is muted and very mid-range heavy. It's not that I don't occasionally enjoy hearing something that is unusual or foreign to my ears. Like modern art, I can appreciate the fact that the piece is affecting me whether I fathom it or not. There are songs that I can tolerate here, too. "Let Down," "Karma Police" and (surprisingly) "Fitter Happier" are somewhat intriguing and engaging and might warrant further listenings at some point in time. But I could go the rest of my life without suffering through "Electioneering" again. Way, way, way too noisy and grating. I'm no expert on art rock by any means but I know what I like and I like what I know and this one rates only one star on my scale. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about this group and this seemed to be rated rather highly by their fans so I gave it my best college try to wrap my head around this CD. I guess I was hoping for a lot more songs like "Creep" but it just didn't turn out that way.
Chicapah | 1/5 |