Big Big Train - English Electric (Part Two) CD (album) cover

ENGLISH ELECTRIC (PART TWO)

Big Big Train

lukatherfan
5 stars Just as I had been wrong about BBT's ability to outdo itself after 'The Underfall Yard' with EE1, here I am once again proven wrong with the release of 'English Electric Part Two'. Though my love for EE1 is huge, I must admit after many listens that EE2 surpasses its predecessor.

It is a more expansive and daring album, venturing further into symphonic prog which was only hinted at on EE1. This album also features quite a bit more guitar (although not to the point of being annoying or cliched) than EE1.

BBT are peaking as a group right now and may be the best in the business at what they do - sublime, complex compositions accompanied by thoughtful & skilled musicianship.

In an album full of highlights, "East Coast Racer", "Swan Hunter", "Worked Out", and "The Permanent Way" are the best of the lot - the latter even recalling some musical & lyrical themes from EE1.

Along with Steven Wilson's newest release, this is already a strong candidate for prog album of the year, in my humble opinion.

lukatherfan | 5/5 |